I’ve got to stay true, just… as long as he needs meat!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
As Long As Needs Me is a an emotional torch song from the musical Oliver! It is sung by Nancy, played by Shani Wallis in the 1968 movie, and has since been recorded MANY times by other artists. These include, but definitely not limited to: Shirley Bassey, Judy Garland, Ruthie Henshall, Dionne Warwick, Bonnie Langford, Doris Day – and most memorably: the pop version by Barbara Windsor.
I won’t betray his trust
Though people say I must
I’ve got to stay true, just
As long as he needs me
It has even been recorded by some gentlemen, but not – rather inexplicably – by Frank Sinatra. Perhaps he was just needing a meat fest to inspire him? (Tenuous link – Ed) Or perhaps he just didn’t have time because he was recording EVERY OTHER SONG…
Either way, here’s a plate of meat that some bloke really wants.
And just in case you felt “cheated” of a recipe, here are some of my favorite rubs and seasonings for grilled or roasted meat:
- Lemon Pepper: Lemon zest, onion powder, black pepper
- Mexican: Equal parts ground cumin, paprika, dried oregano
- Compound butter: Butter mixed with fresh herbs, then chilled until required
- Spicy BBQ Rub: Paprika, cayenne, sugar, salt, pepper
- Soy Marinade: Marinate steak in soy sauce for at least an hour for fantastic flavor
- Indian Rub: Ground coriander, ground ginger, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, salt
- And let’s not forget Chim-Chimichurri!