Make this collection of individual berry desserts and you’ll have your very own blueberry flan group!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you we can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
Blue Man Group is a theatrical production company performing a combination of music, comedy, and state-of-the-art technology. Formed in 1991, the show has been seen by over 35 million people worldwide and has current productions in Las Vegas, Orlando, Boston, Chicago, New York City and Berlin. They have released various CD compilations (including Audio, The Complex, and Three), several DVDs (including How To Be A Megastar Live and The Complex Rock Tour Live), and have even published a book called Blue Man World – a must for every fan!
For the pastry:
- 175g/6oz/1½ cups plain (all-purpose) flour
- 115g/4oz/8 tbsp unsalted (sweet) butter
- 25g/1oz/2 tbsp caster (superfine) sugar
- finely grated rind of ½ lemon
- 30ml/2 tbsp chilled water
For the filling:
- 30ml/2 tbsp ground coffee
- 45ml/3 tbsp nearly boiling milk
- 50g/2oz/4 tbsp unsalted (sweet) butter
- 50g/2oz/1/4 cup caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 egg
- 115g/4oz/1 cup ground almonds
- 15ml/1 tbsp plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- 225g/8oz/2 cups blueberries
- 30ml/2 tbsp blackberry jam
- 15ml/1 tbsp Amaretto or Cointreau
- mascarpone, crème fraiche or sour cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
- For the pastry, sift the flour and rub in the butter.
- Add the sugar and rind, then the water and mix to a firm dough. Wrap in clear film (plastic wrap) and chill for 20 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line six 10cm/4in loose based tartlet tins. Line with baking parchment or non-stick foil and baking beans and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the paper/foil and beans and bake for a further 10 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Put the coffee in a bowl, pour the milk over and leave to infuse for 4 minutes. Cream the butter and sugar until pale. Beat in the egg, then add the almonds and flour. Strain in the coffee through a fine sieve and fold in.
- Spread the coffee mixture in the pastry cases. Scatter the blueberries evenly over the filling and push them down slightly into the mixture. Bake for 25 minutes until firm.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Heat the jam and liqueur in a small pan until melted. Brush over the flans and remove from the tin. Serve warm with a scoop of mascarpone or with crème fraiche or sour cream.
Thank you to Virginia for the recipe and photo!