Goodness, gracious, great balls of fire!!! You’ll love these spicy meatballs inspired by the classic song!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you we can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
The fantastic song Great Balls of Fire was originally released by Jerry Lee Lewis in 1957 and sold one million copies in the first ten days of its release in the US! Since then it has featured in not one, but two musicals! Firstly the 1989 musical Return to the Forbidden Planet (have you tried Monster Mash, yet?) and then in the 2010 musical Million Dollar Quartet (Or Melon Dollar Quartet, as we like to call it!)
It didn’t take much imagination to come up with a recipe idea for this song – spicy meatballs!
Do you remember when I made pickled jalapeños for Too Darn Hot? Well my “mammoth jalapeño” plant survived the winter and the peppers are still growing strong!
So the jalapeños seemed like the obvious choice for making these fiery meatballs. Here’s how to make them:
In a large bowl, combine ground beef, a beaten egg, cooked and chopped bacon, Panko or breadcrumbs, garlic paste, Italian seasoning, chopped fresh jalapeños, salt and pepper. I even added some hot sauce for extra, um… luck. Technically speaking, when making meatballs you should fry a little part of the meat mixture to assess the flavor and seasoning. But personally I like the surprise aspect of it all. Nothing to do with being lazy. Plus there was no chance of these meatballs being bland! When everything is mixed well together, form it into six large meatballs and place them on a small baking sheet.
Roast in a preheated oven for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, make the sauce – I used half quantity of How Do You Solve A Problem Like Marinara?, although I actually forgot the onions. For extra spice you may like to add some cayenne or similar to it, or you could just let the meatballs do all the talking!
After the meatballs have cooked for those 15 minutes, spoon half of the sauce over the meatballs, then return them to the oven for another 15 minutes, or until they’ve reached an internal temperature of 160F.
Transfer the meatballs to a serving plate and spoon the rest of the sauce over the top. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
These six meatballs would feed between two and four people, depending on what you serve them with! And you might like to have a fire extinguisher handy.
Goodness, gracious, great balls of fire!!!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- ½ cup Panko or breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tbs Italian seasoning
- 3 fresh jalapeños, deseeded and finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 tsp hot sauce (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients. When everything is mixed well, form the mixture into six large meatballs and place them on a small baking sheet.
- Roast in the oven for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, make the sauce (see separate recipe link).
- After the meatballs have cooked for those 15 minutes, spoon half of the sauce over the meatballs, then return them to the oven for another 15 minutes, or until they've reached an internal temperature of 160F.
- Transfer the meatballs to a serving plate and spoon the rest of the sauce over the top. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley.