One Torte Day… in the Emerald City. One Torte Day… full of so much to eat…
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you we can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
This chocolate torte is inspired by One Short Day, a song from the fabulous and powerful musical, Wicked. The song towards the end of Act I when the Wizard of Oz has asked to meet Elphaba. Elphaba invites Glinda to join her and they spend one (short) day in the VERY green Emerald City. The song ends with the two girls firm friends, who probably celebrated with a slice of chocolate cake* after seeing Wizomania.
*That may be a little embellishment. But I bet they did. And it was almost certainly a green chocolate cake.
This chocolate torte recipe just happens to be low in sugar AND low in carbohydrates, mainly because (and here’s a shameless plug) I also write the blog StepAwayFromTheCarbs and I just love how easy it is to make amazing chocolaty desserts that suit my way of eating! But don’t think of this as a “diet” cake – it is loaded with real chocolate and cream!
Melt dark chocolate (I love Green & Black’s!) and butter together in a saucepan over a low heat, stirring frequently.
Pour in the chocolate mixture and whisk on a low speed until fully blended.
Pour everything into a lined or greased 9″ pie plate and bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the edges have puffed up slightly and the center is not quite firm.
Cool completely then store in the fridge. Serve with whipped cream!
- 100g 85% dark chocolate
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 1 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup sweetener or sugar
- whipped cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Melt dark chocolate and butter together in a saucepan over a low heat, stirring frequently.
- In a stand mixer, whisk together eggs, heavy cream, unsweetened cocoa powder, and sweetener or sugar.
- Pour in the chocolate mixture and whisk on a low speed until fully blended.
- Pour everything into a lined or greased 9" pie plate and bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the edges have puffed up slightly and the center is not quite firm.
- Cool completely then store in the fridge. Serve with whipped cream!
You might also like our Wicked-inspired cocktail: “As Long As You’re Mint“!