Who can take a sunrise… sprinkle it with dew? Cover it in chocolate and a miracle or two… Pe-candy man!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you we can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
The Candy Man is a song that was originally written for the 1971 movie Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. It was released as a single in the following year by Sammy Davis Jr, and although it is reported that he hated the song, it was actually his only number one hit. So he must have liked it a *little* bit.
Who can take a sunrise
Sprinkle it with dew
Cover it in chocolate and a miracle or two:
The candy man
The song didn’t appear in a professional stage show* until Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which opened on Broadway in April of this year. Interestingly, the original West End production of this musical that opened in 2013 did not include this song.
So this recipe, naturally enough, is a combination of pecans and candy. The white chocolate topping can either be drizzled over the top or the pecan bites can just be dunked in as shown in the photo.
Add some unsalted butter, almond flour, sugar and egg to a stand mixer bowl, and beat until fully combined. Stir in the pecans. Using your hands, form the mixture into 16 small balls, and place them on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Bake for 18-20 minutes in a preheated oven or until cooked through and browning on top.
Transfer to a wire cooling rack and let the pecan bites cool. Melt the chocolate melts in the microwave (I used these but use something fancier if you prefer – however the over the top sweetness of these candy melts seems to work perfectly for the song!). Dip the pecan bites into the chocolate and place them back on the wire rack until the chocolate has hardened.
- ½ stick (4 tbs) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup white chocolate melts
- Preheat the oven to 300F.
- Add the butter, almond flour, sugar and egg to a stand mixer bowl, and beat until fully combined. Stir in the pecans.
- Form the mixture into small balls (this recipe makes about 16), and place them on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until cooked through and browning on top.
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack. Melt the chocolate melts in the microwave, then dip the cooled pecan balls into the chocolate.
*It DID appear in a musical review by a London-based university musical society in around 2001, but the less said about this version the better.