Let’s do the Thyme Warp again!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you we can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
OK so I have a confession… The first I knew of this song was the 1989 pop version by Damian (who, sadly, died of cancer earlier this year). It wasn’t until many years later that I realized that it was from the classic The Rocky Horror Picture Show. This is our second recipe inspired by this cult movie, the first being Planet! Schmanet! Pomegranate! And I suspect there will be many more to come!
The inspiration for this recipe came from all kinds of pun angles (punangles?). Firstly, the time/thyme joke which we’ve already used for Get Me To The Chicken On Thyme AND Cep in Thyme. Also, I wanted a dated and old-fashioned time-warp-like recipe. Somehow I came up with making the party classic cheese straws – but with added thyme! And finally, the sci-fi-like look to the main image, attempting to recreate the cheese straws travelling through time. It all made sense in my head!
Place some softened butter into a bowl and beat until light and fluffy. A stand mixer is really useful for this recipe! Add shredded cheddar cheese (I used white cheddar as I have an aversion to the bright yellow kind!). Beat well, trying to incorporate the cheese into the butter as much as possible. Then add flour, dried thyme, a beaten egg, and a generous amount of salt and pepper.
Beat until a dough forms, adding more flour if the dough is too wet. Knead the dough for a minute or two, then roll it out on a floured surface – I used a non-stick rolling pin for this. Cut the dough into strips, twist them around, then place them on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat. Continue with the rest of the dough, re-rolling as necessary. I managed to get about 12, but with some more delicate rolling I probably could have got 15.
Bake in a preheated oven for around 15 minutes until hard. These are great served warm or cold. Maybe serve it with the The Arti-Chokey Chant Dip!
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup flour (all-purpose / plain)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Place the butter into a stand mixer bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the cheese and beat well.
- Next add the remaining ingredients and beat until a dough forms, adding more flour if the dough is too wet.
- Knead the dough for a minute or two, then roll it out on a floured surface.
- Cut the dough into strips, twist them around, then place them on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat. Continue with the rest of the dough, re-rolling as necessary.
- Bake for around 15 minutes until hard. These are great served warm or cold.